Y-DNA STR testing chart
This Y-STR testing chart provides comparative information on the Y-STR Y chromosome DNA tests offered by the major DNA testing companies. Y-STR tests are used for genetic genealogy within a genealogical timeframe and are generally co-ordinated through surname DNA projects.
For guidelines on DNA testing see the Genetic genealogy standards.
For information on Y-SNP testing for deep ancestry purposes and SNP discovery see the ISOGG Y-DNA SNP testing chart. Note that the Y-DNA next generation sequencing test from Full Genomes Corporation provides a report which includes analysis of over 300 Y-STRs. The Big Y test from Family Tree DNA also includes Y-STRs but Y-STR analysis is not provided by FTDNA. However, it is possible to pay a small fee for an analysis of Big Y STRs from YFull or Full Genomes Corporation.
This chart is provided for informational purposes only. Additions can be made upon ISOGG member request. Please submit additions, corrections/updates to .
|Company and product name||Family Tree DNA||Genebase Systems, Inc.||Oxford Ancestors, Ltd.||YSEQ|
|Main purpose of test||Genealogy||Genealogy||Deep ancestry||Genealogy|
|Date when product first went on sale||2000||2005 (1998)||2000||2013|
|Cost|| 37 STRs $169
67 STRs $268
111 STRs $359
| 20 STRs $119
44 STRs $199
101 STRs $339
|15 STRs £199 ($311)|| Alpha Panel (16 STRs, including some multi-part markers) $58|
Beta Panel (14 STRs, including some multi-part markers) $58
Alpha-Beta Panel (37 STRs) $85
|Project prices|| 12 STRs $59
25 STRs $109
37 STRs $149
67 STRs $248
111 STRs $339.00
|n/a||4 x 15 STRs £720 ($1126)||n/a|
|Additional Y-STRs|| DYF371X $25
|n/a||n/a|| Single markers $9.96 - $19.95 (from a selection of 113)|
DYS464 palindromic panel including DYS464X and DYF399X $25
|Shipping charges||$9.95 for USA and international orders (prepaid return postage is included for US kits)||Regular delivery: approximately 7 to 10 business days - $10.00 USD. Express delivery: 1 to 2 business days - $25.00 USD||£6.00 UK; £13.00 Europe and worldwide||?|
|International product availability||Worldwide||Worldwide||Worldwide||Worldwide|
|DNA sample storage||Yes (free 25 years)||Unknown||No||Unknown|
|Projects supported||Yes, Surname projects, geographical projects and haplogroup projects||No||No||No|
|Size of Y-STR database as of 16 August 2015||539,000+||Unknown||Unknown||n/a|
|Project/crowd funding||Yes, through projects' General Funds||No||No||No|
|Online community or forum||Public FTDNA Forums||?||?||No|
|Sponsored public Y-STR database||Yes, Ysearch||No||No||No|
|Additional DNA testing options available from this company||Yes, multiple options for Y chromosome STR testing, Y-SNP testing (single SNPs, specialised SNP panels and Y-chromosome sequencing), and autosomal DNA testing||Yes, limited Y-SNP testing and multiple options for mtDNA testing||Yes, limited mtDNA testing||Yes, Y-SNP testing (single SNPs and specialised SNP panels)|
|Lead scientists in the company||Michael Hammer, Connie Bormans||Unknown||Bryan Sykes||Thomas Krahn, Astrid Krahn.|
|Advisory board and consultants for the company||Bruce Walsh, Doron Behar, Spencer Wells||Unknown||n/a||n/a|
|Ownership|| Gene by Gene
Managing partners Bennett Greenspan and Max Blankfeld
|?|| Oxford Ancestors Ltd
Directors: Bryan Sykes, Susan Foden and William James
|Privately held by Thomas Krahn and Astrid Krahn|
|Lab(s) used||Family Tree DNA Genomics Center, Houston, Texas||Genetrack Biolabs, Inc.||Oxford Ancestors Laboratory, Kidlington, Oxfordshire||YSEQ, Germany|
|Method for collecting the sample||Cheek swab||Cheek swab||?||Cheek swab|
|Address|| Family Tree DNA
1445 North Loop West
| Genebase Systems Inc
Vancouver BC V5R 5T5
| Oxford Ancestors
PO BOX 841
Oxfordshire OX1 9LJ
|E-mail address||FTDNA Contact Form|
|Phone number||(1) 713-868-1438||(1) 877-714-6357 (toll free)||(44) (0)845 5438060||?|
|Year founded||2000||2005 (1998)||2000||2013|
- The YSEQ Alpha-Beta Panel tests the same markers as the FTDNA 37-marker YDNA test
- This is known as the Kittler test, and will allow the user to determine the actual order of DYS385a-b. See the page in the FTDNA Learning Center on Advanced Y-DNA Y-STR tests
- Editorial Staff. "Shipping DNA tests worldwide". Family Tree DNA Learning Center. Gene by Gene. https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/shipping-dna-tests-to-international-destinations/. Retrieved 2015-8-16.
- About the Family Tree DNA database. Accessed 16 August 2015.
- Who's who at Family Tree DNA
- Genebase launched in 2005. Genetrack Biolabs launched in 1998
Family Tree DNA, Genebase, Oxford Ancestors and Y-SEQ are registered, trademarked, and/or copyrighted names of companies, websites and organizations, not affiliated with ISOGG.
For a detailed comparison of the individual Y-STR markers tested by each company see Michael L. Hébert's Y-DNA Testing Company STR Marker Comparison Chart
- Before You Buy
- Beginners' guides to genetic genealogy
- Choosing a DNA testing company
- Free DNA tests
- List of Y-DNA haplogroup projects
- Shipping DNA kits
- SNP testing
- Surname DNA projects
- Y chromosome DNA tests
- Y-DNA next generation sequencing
- Y-DNA SNP testing chart
- Y-DNA tools
- Understanding genetic ancestry testing
- Coakley L. Which DNA testing company should I use? Genie! blog (a review from the perspective of people living in Australia and New Zealand)
- Griffith S. Buyer beware links. Genealogy Junkie, 14 May, 2014.
- Griffith S. Notes for UK (& Ex-US) residents re DNA testing companies. Genealogy Junkie, 16 January 2014.
- MacArthur D. Ready to test your DNA: how to choose a genetic testing company. PRI's The World, 22 March 2012.
- Aulicino E. Which DNA testing company fits your needs? Genealem blog, 23 May 2009.
- Wagner JK, Cooper JD, Sterling R, and Royal CD. Tilting at windmills no longer: a data-driven discussion of DTC DNA ancestry tests. Genetics in Medicine 2012:14(6):586–593. The article provides a snapshot of the direct-to-consumer DNA ancestry testing industry in April 2010 based on a survey of company websites.
- DNAtestingchoice.com A DNA testing review website