Shipping DNA kits
For some countries Shipping of DTC (Direct to Consumer) DNA test providers is not available or very expensive. This page gives indications.
You can arrange with a friend in the US to have him sending you the package. If this is not an option or you prefer a carrier then you can use one of the many package forwarders from US to the world. A subset of them:
- shipito.com: Addresses in California, Oregon and Hong-Kong. Already used by some genetic genealogists. Offers include good shipping rates with a variety of shipping companies and delivery times (FedEx, DHL, TNT, USPS, Airmail). Package Consolidation and virtual mailbox is also available. More Hints: use full US postal address for the kit ordering and use the same payment method for your order to avoid security alarms. DHL is considered overall as one of the most reliable shipping companies.
Returning is generally possible by simply mailing the sample tube/s to the company. It is suggested to write "genealogy sample" on the customs form. The content is genealogical material and not DNA until it is processed by the testing labs. USPS page with import restrictions per country: International Mail Manual > Individual Country Listings
DTC Kit information
23andMe23andMe Kit v3 in Dec. 2012.
International (DHL Express) and US Shipping from California (not all countries listed):
- $118.95: Albania, Croatia
- $114.95: Azerbajan, Belarus
- $95.95: Cyprus
- $94.95: Austria, Czech R., Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland
- $90.95: Armenia
- $79.95: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, UK
- $74.95: Australia
- $59.95: Canada
- $36.95: US Express
- $9.95: US Standard:
For a full list of countries where 23andMe will ship kits see the 23andMe FAQ: Do you take international orders?.
Package Size & Weight:
- shipping to recipient DHL envelope: 37x30x5 cm, ~50 g, with all content ~260 g
- return shipping DHL envelope: 31x25x3 cm, ~60 g, including Kit Box and Kit ~210 g
- Kit Box: 17.5x13x3.5 cm, ~100 g, including kit ~150 g
- Kit: 14x7.8x2.8 cm, ~ 50 g
- sample tube: diameter 1.5 cm, length: ~10 cm
Returning international sample information: 23andMe customercare