Next generation sequencing
Next generation sequencing (NGS) is a new method for sequencing genomes at high speed, at low cost and with great accuracy. It is also known as second generation sequencing (SGS). For genetic genealogy purposes NGS is used for the BIG Y test from Family Tree DNA and the Comprehensive Y-DNA test from Full Genomes Corporation.
- Robasky K, Lewis NE, Church G. The role of replicates for error mitigation in next-generation sequencing. Nature Reviews Genetics 2014; 15: 56–62 (subscription required).
- Lou DI, Hussman JA, McBee RM et al. High-throughput DNA sequencing errors are reduced by orders of magnitude using circle sequencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, published online before print 15 November 2013.
- Behjati S, Tarpey PS. What is next generation sequencing? Archives Dis Child Educ Pract Ed 2013; 98: 236-238.
- O'Rawe J, Jiang T, Sun G et al. Low concordance of multiple variant-calling pipelines: practical implications for exome and genome sequencing. Genome Medicine 2013 5: 28.
- Pareek CS, Smoczynski R, Tretyn A. Sequencing technologies and genome sequencing. Journal of Applied Genetics 2011 Nov; 52(4): 413-35.
- Altman A, Weber P, Bader M et al. A beginners guide to SNP calling from high-throughput DNA sequencing data. Human Genetics 2012; 131:1541-1554 (subscription required).
- Nielsen R, Paul JS, Albrechtsen A, Song YS. Genotype and SNP calling from next-generation sequencing data. Nature Reviews Genetics 2011 12: 443-451 (June) (subscription required).
- Wherper M. The $1000 genome arrives - for real this time. Forbes, 14 January 2014.
- Collins FS, Hamburg MA. First FDA authorization for next-generation sequencer. Perspective article, New England Journal of Medicine, 19 November 2013.
- Next Gen Seek - making sense of next-generation sequencing data
- 8 realities of the sequencing GWAS by Dan Koboldt, MassGenomics, 31 March 2014.
- Illumina destroy the opposition again - almost... by Mick Watson, Opiniomics, 14 January 2014.
- An introduction to next generation sequencing technology - Illumina guide
- Wikibook on Next Generation Sequencing
- Wikipedia article on DNA sequencing
- A comparison of mappers
- Next generation sequencing for dummies A Powerpoint presentation by Andy Vierstraete, Department of Biology, Ghent University, June 2012
- GigaScience a journal sponsored by BGI