Genetic genealogy mailing lists
Mailing lists and forums can be a useful way of making contact with other researchers and comparing notes with other genetic genealogists. The genetic genealogy mailing lists are hosted either by Yahoo or Rootsweb. With both companies there is an option to subscribe either in individual e-mail mode or digest mode.
- ISOGG DNA-Newbie List The DNA-NEWBIE list was founded in July 2005 at the suggestion of Ann Turner. As of January 2013, there are over 2,600 subscribers.
- ISOGG mailing list for project administrators A members-only mailing list founded in March 2005 for members of the International Society of Genetic Genealogy. The list is intended for those who are administrators of DNA projects. There are some useful files to download in the files section on the group homepage. There are around 300-400 posts per months.
- ISOGG Health and DNA list A discussion list for health and DNA topics - in particular relating to DTC tests and family health history.
- ISOGG Facebook group
- ISOGG group on LinkedIn
- ISOGG GenealogyWise group (open group)
- DNA lists at RootsWeb
- DNA-Anthrogenealogy A list for the discussion of deep ancestry.
- GENEALOGY-DNA-L The first genetic genealogy list founded by Ann Turner in October 2000. The list has around 750 subscribers. It is a high-traffic list which usually has a minimum of 500 posts per month and often many more.
- DNA-Newbie-L The list was started in September 2007, but has a lot less traffic than the ISOGG DNA-Newbie list on Yahoo (see above).
- Y-DNA Projects A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding practical issues related to STR testing for Y-DNA surname projects in a genealogical time frame only.
- Autosomal DNA mailing list. A new list started in June 2011 for discussions related to autosomal DNA tests.
- mtDNA mailing list A new list started in September 2012 by Greg Bonner.
- Facebook group for Y-DNA project administrators
- Afrigeneas African-American DNA research forum
- Anthrogenica genetics research forum
- New Molgen DNA Forum
- Family Tree DNA Forum
- World Families DNA Forum
- DNA Forums This was a very popular forum which was taken down some time in 2012 after the site owner failed to re-register the domain name. Some messages are preserved in the Internet Archive.