Genetic genealogy mailing lists
From ISOGG Wiki
Mailing lists and forums can be a useful way of making contact with other researchers and comparing notes with other genetic genealogists. The genetic genealogy mailing lists are hosted either by Yahoo or Rootsweb. With both companies there is an option to subscribe either in individual e-mail mode or digest mode.
- ISOGG DNA-Newbie List The DNA-NEWBIE list was founded in July 2005 at the suggestion of Ann Turner and since 2010 has been moderated primarily by CeCe Moore. As of December 2013, there are over 3,000 subscribers. This is a very active list.
- ISOGG mailing list for project administrators A members-only mailing list founded in March 2005 for members of the International Society of Genetic Genealogy and moderated by ISOGG Director Katherine Borges. The list is intended for those who are administrators of DNA projects. There are some useful files to download in the files section on the group homepage. There are around 300-400 posts per months.
- ISOGG Adoptees Forum A forum founded in 2011 by Katherine Borges and Richard Hill which no longer appears to be very active.
- ISOGG Health and DNA list A discussion list for health and DNA topics - in particular relating to DTC tests and family health history.
- ISOGG Facebook group A very popular group discussing subjects related to genetic genealogy, moderated by Katherine Borges and Angie Bush.
- ISOGG group on LinkedIn
- ISOGG GenealogyWise group (open group)
- AncestryDNA discussion group
- DNA lists at RootsWeb
- DNA-Anthrogenealogy A list for the discussion of deep ancestry.
- GENEALOGY-DNA-L The first genetic genealogy list founded by Ann Turner in October 2000. The list has around 750 subscribers. It is a high-traffic list which usually has a minimum of 500 posts per month and often many more.
- DNA-Newbie-L The list was started in September 2007, but has a lot less traffic than the ISOGG DNA-Newbie list on Yahoo (see above).
- Y-DNA Projects A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding practical issues related to STR testing for Y-DNA surname projects in a genealogical time frame only.
- Autosomal DNA mailing list. A list started in June 2011 by Diana Gale Matthiesen for discussions related to autosomal DNA tests.
- mtDNA mailing list A list started in September 2012 by Greg Bonner.
- DNA Adoption A new Yahoo group started in May 2013 by a team of experienced search angels for adoptees and anyone else utilizing DNA to discover unknown heritage or search for close biological family. This is a very busy list.
- AdoptionDNA Yahoo group for adoptees, parents and siblings to talk about their DNA Results. This is no longer a very active list as many of the contributors and experts have moved to the DNAAdoption list (see above). It often has an emphasis on the politics of adoption in the US
- AdoptionDNA Tools Yahoo group focused on developing tools to extract useful data from the databases.
- Unknown Fathers DNA group A new Yahoo group started by CeCe Moore This group is for those searching for the identity of a biological father through DNA testing. Advice, specific testing plans, interpretation assistance and support are offered.
- Facebook on Genealogy list A downloadable list maintained by Katherine R. Willson which lists all the Facebook pages and groups related to genealogy. The file includes a DNA section which lists all the Facebook groups relating to DNA and haplogroups.
The following are some of the more popular general DNA groups on Facebook:
- Ancient DNA
- Ancestry GedMach FTDNA 23andMe Genealogy DNA group
- Autosomal DNA
- Chromosomes in Common
- DNA Detectives - a group focused on finding biological family for adoptees, foundlings, donor-conceived individuals, unknown paternity and all other types of unknown parentage cases
- DNA for Genealogy
- DNA help for genealogy UK - a group providing support for testers in the UK
- DNA Newbie
- DNA Tools
- Institute for Genetic Genealogy
- Family Tree DNA Project Admins - A group for the discussion of project admins issues
- Y-DNA project administrators
Company groups on Facebook
Regional Facebook groups
- Anatolia, the Balkans and the Caucasus genetic genealogy group
- Using DNA for Genealogy - Australia & NZ
- Finland DNA
- France ADN - Généalogie Génétique (ISOGG)
- Genetic Genealogy Ireland
- German Language area DNA Research Group
- Irish DNA
- Norway DNA Project
- Scottish DNA Project:
- Swedish Society for Genetic Genealogy
- DNA Help for Genealogy UK
- DNA for Genealogy - UK
- Wales and Welsh DNA
- Afrigeneas African-American DNA research forum
- Anthrogenica genetics research forum
- New Molgen DNA Forum
- Family Tree DNA Forum
- PubMed Commons A system that enables researchers to share their opinions about scientific publications indexed on PubMed. A free My NCBI account is required. The system is currently in a pilot phase (October 2013).
- SEQanswers - the next generation sequencing community
- World Families DNA Forum
- DNA Forums This was a very popular forum which was taken down some time in 2012 after the site owner George Van Der Merwede failed to re-register the domain name. Some messages are preserved in the Internet Archive.
For a list of groups for help with adoption searches see the Wiki page on DNA testing for adoptees.