Online resources for project administrators
From ISOGG Wiki
This is a listing of online resources for project administrators.
Mailing lists for project administrators
- ISOGG mailing list for project administrators A members-only mailing list founded in March 2005 for members of the International Society of Genetic Genealogy. The list is intended for those who are administrators of DNA projects. There are some useful files to download in the files section on the group homepage. There are around 300-400 posts per months.
- Y-DNA Projects A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding practical issues related to STR testing for Y-DNA surname projects in a genealogical time frame only.
- Facebook group for FTDNA project administrators
- Facebook group for Y-DNA project administrators
- Family Tree DNA group administrators forum
ISOGG resources for project administrators
- ISOGG Project Administrator Guidelines
- A comparison of communication methods used by ISOGG project administrators
- A partial list of ISOGG project administrators
- A project administration handbook by ISOGG member Ralph Taylor
- DNA 101: Y chromosome testing John Blair's guide to Y-DNA testing for beginners
- Recruiting participants by ISOGG member John A Blair
- Towards improvements in Y-DNA surname project administration by James M. Irvine. Journal of Genetic Genealogy, Fall 2010, Volume 6, Number 1. The Surname Population Matrix used in this paper can be downloaded here.
- Admin checklist Georgia Kinney Bopp's checklist aids DNA Project Admins with everything they need to know to keep track of their project participants.
- Genetic Genealogy - Y-DNA, Ancestral Trees and Mutation Graphs Tutorial notes from Robert Baber.
- Getting the most out of your Y-DNA test by Maurice Gleeson, DNA and Family Tree Research blog, 1 April 2016. Maurice provides a template of testing advice which can be adapted for use by individual projects.
- Contacting/approaching potential DNA testers by Emily Aulicino, Genealem blog, 1 October 2008
- Make FTDNA GAP WYSIWYG and MS Word play nice by Rebekah Canada, Haplogroup blog, 14 July 2013.
Family Tree DNA resources
- FTDNA projects FTDNA surname, lineage and geographical projects
- Group Administrator Quick Start Guide
- Group Administrator Page (GAP): Reference Questions and Answers about being a Group Project administrator or co-administrator.
- FTDNA Group Administrator Guidelines
- How to use the FTDNA GAP
- GAP: Interpretation Questions and Answers about interpreting and explaining your project members' results
- Group Administration Page: Filters and FTQL The FTDNA FAQ section for the new Filters and the FTQL query language
FTDNA Facts and Genes articles
Family Tree DNA's newsletter Facts and Genes has sometimes contained useful articles relating to project administration:
- Recruiting participants: surnames Volume 4, Issue 5, October 12, 2005
- Action items for group administrators: surname variants and co-administrators Volume 4, Issue 5, October 12, 2005
- Y-DNA Projects, recruiting participants: opportunities, and action items Volume 5, Issue 6, December 5, 2005
- Recruiting participants: annual update Volume 5, Issue 1, March 27, 2006
- Recruiting participants: fund raising Volume 5, Issue 2, August 08, 2006
- Recruiting participants: cost justification Volume 5, Issue 3, November 12, 2006
- Recruiting participants: your Google ranking and annual update Volume 6, Issue 1, March 05, 2007
- Recruiting participants: donations Volume 6, Issue 3, July 27, 2007
- Y-DNA: global view of the surname Volume 6, Issue 4, September 06, 2007
- Recruiting participants: recruitment is a process Volume 6, Issue 4, September 06, 2007
- For group administrators: annual update Volume 7, Issue 1, February 20, 2008
- Recruiting participants: tips and techniques Volume 7, Issue 4, August 15, 2008
- Y-DNA surnames and one-name studies Volume 7, Issue 5, November 24, 2008
- For group administrators: recruiting in the ancestral country Volume 7, Issue 5, November 24, 2008
- Tutorial for surname DNA tests (Internet Archive version) A very useful four-page tutorial from DNA Heritage (now part of Family Tree DNA) showing how Y-chromosome STR testing can be used within a surname DNA project.
- Tips for a successful project A World Families tutorial.
- Diary of a product administrator The musings of the administrator of the Bolt DNA project.